Lettuce begin!

LETTUCE BEGIN!!
I have recently required an absolute tremendous passion for cooking.
Now that I got married and actually have my own kitchen and someone
to cook for I cook everyday, and usually about four times a day!

I thought it'd be cool to start a blog and share recipes.
Mostly in the hopes that people will share theirs with me in return :)
But also just because cooking gives me such joy that I think should be shared!

From time to time I try to make some authentic Brasilian dishes,
which might interest those of you that want to try something really different.

Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I will, and thanks for all the recipes in advance!!
Xoxo,

Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Little Fancied Up Southern Cooking

We're going to take some of my favorite southern classics that I loved having in Charleston, SC and fancying them up just a tad so you can impress your friends and still take them back home to the south with every bite.

For my crab cakes with Mango salsa you'll need:

For crab cakes-
  • 1 pound crab meat (you don't have to get the expensive kind. canned ones will do fine)
  • 1/3 cup crushed crackers or bread crumbs
  • 2 green onions finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup green bell peppers
  • 1/4 cup red bell peppers
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard (optional)
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Dash cayenne pepper
To make these, all you have to do is mix all these ingredient together, shape them into patties and slightly roll them, or dust them with flour. Then in a large skillet over med. heat, add 2 tbsp of veg. oil and fry them until brown, about 4 minutes on each side.

For the mango salsa-
  • 1 mango, peeled and diced
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped poblano peppers
  • 1/4 cup " " red bell peppers
  • 1/4 cup " " red onion
  • 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar (OR you can use about 1/4 cup red wine and 1/4 cup reg. rice vinegar)
  • a little bit of chopped cilantro and salt to taste
Combine all and stir and that's it! Pair with the crab cakes and it's the perfect marriage!


Now, if you don't like grits, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE try these, they are to die for! I promise you'll like them regardless of your feelings about grits! They are divine!

You'll need:
2 quart chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cups Dixie Lily grits
4 tbsp of butter
1 (8oz)can creamed corn
1/4 pound shredded smoked Gouda cheese

Boil the chicken stock in a large pot. Mix in the grits and stir A LOT!!! Reduce it to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cream, then butter and creamed corn and stir it until it's all together. Gradually stir in the cheese until it's all nicely blended. And enjoy one of the South's best dish!


I will post the green tomato and onion au gratin soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment