Lettuce begin!

LETTUCE BEGIN!!
I have recently required an absolute tremendous passion for cooking.
Now that I got married and actually have my own kitchen and someone
to cook for I cook everyday, and usually about four times a day!

I thought it'd be cool to start a blog and share recipes.
Mostly in the hopes that people will share theirs with me in return :)
But also just because cooking gives me such joy that I think should be shared!

From time to time I try to make some authentic Brasilian dishes,
which might interest those of you that want to try something really different.

Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I will, and thanks for all the recipes in advance!!
Xoxo,

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Filipino food...Yum!!

My parents used to have a friend when we lived in Lancaster, South Carolina that was from the Philippines and cooked the most amazing food. So, since I was home with some time to spare, we decided to try to recreate it... and it was DELICIOUS! You've got to try these! And we thought it was going to be kind of hard, but it ended up being super easy!

So, here's how to make some of their best: Lumpia Shanghai.
Lumpia is a Filipino version of egg rolls, but they're much better and full of meat!




You will need:

Egg roll wrappers
1 lb of ground pork, chicken or beef (I prefer pork, but any will work)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion finely chopped
1/2 carrot, grated
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup shredded cabbage
1/4 cup soy sauce
salt n pepper to taste
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
1 package spring roll wrappers
and oil for frying (about 2 cups, depends on what pan you use- the oil needs to just barely cover the lumpia when you're frying them)

So first cook the meat in about 2 tsp of olive oil or veg. oil and the garlic, salt and pepper until it's brown. Then add in the rest of the ingredients and cook for about 2 minutes. Take pan off heat and let it cool.
You're wrappers should come with a diagram instruction on the back of them which is super easy to follow on how to assemble them, but if not, here's how:
When it's cool enough to handle, place 2 heaping tablespoons of the filling diagonally near one corner of each wrapper, leaving a 1 1/2 inch space at both ends. Fold the side along the length of the filling over the filling, tuck in both ends, and roll neatly. Keep the roll tight as you assemble. Moisten the other side of the wrapper with water to seal the edge.

Then fry them in batches of 3 or 4 in the veggie oil. These fry VERY fast, so keep an eye on them. It should only take about a minute or less.


I promise, you'll love them.

Next, I'll post a recipe for those yummy noodles you see beside the Lumpia called Pancit Bihon. It's made from rice sticks, which is a white super thin version of a lo-main noodle. Dee-lish!

No comments:

Post a Comment