Lettuce begin!

LETTUCE BEGIN!!
I have recently required an absolute tremendous passion for cooking.
Now that I got married and actually have my own kitchen and someone
to cook for I cook everyday, and usually about four times a day!

I thought it'd be cool to start a blog and share recipes.
Mostly in the hopes that people will share theirs with me in return :)
But also just because cooking gives me such joy that I think should be shared!

From time to time I try to make some authentic Brasilian dishes,
which might interest those of you that want to try something really different.

Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I will, and thanks for all the recipes in advance!!
Xoxo,

Monday, April 11, 2011

Great low-calorie snacks

This will be a continuing post. Anytime I think of more stuff, I'll post it on here, so keep checking it to stay healthy!

So, I'm not big on having huge lunch and dinners but I snack all day long! I just constantly crave food and
I think my body's taught itself to just eat in small portions that way I can eat all day long! It's the best, I think.

But obviously, most snacks can be packed with calories and just plain bad for you. So try these

For a salty snack:
So you know how we all love eating popcorn but we always think its so fattening. WRONG. If you buy fat free popcorn it only has about 15 calories per 1 cup! that's like, awesome!!
so, buy some fat free popcorn (they even have butter ones). And I know you're thinking "gross", but here's how you make it good:
first make sure you separate it into thirds. You dont need to eat the whole bag for a snack. But popcorn in general has super low calories so even if you end up eating half, you're really only getting about 30 calories.
Add some olive oil, instead of butter. You won't even notice the difference, I promise. If anything, I think it tastes way better. A/b a tsp of salt, and pile in some fresh herbs like parsley, rosemary, basil, and oregano. Chives is a great choice too. Then just sprinkle a tsp of grated Parm. cheese.
This entire snack, even if you do end up eating the whole bag, will only end up being around 50 calories, which is excellent, and it taste great too!

Laughing Cow Light French Onion or swiss cheese spread on salt-free-fat-free saltine crackers is also a great healthy snack.

TUNA! tuna's the BEST! so low calorie and so good. Mix 1 tuna can with 1 can of corn and 1 can of peas and ab 1 tbsp of fat free mayo and 1 tsp of olive oil, a little salt, pepper, rosemary and mix it all together. Eat it with some crackers and its a meal in itself.
Or: in a food chopper, chop 1/8 cup onion, 1/8 cup tomatos, 1 can of tuna, 1 tbsp of fat free cream cheese and 1 tbsp of fat free mayo. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Spread on those saltine crackers!!

Pita pizzas-amazing and about 120 calories for a whole mini pizza...CRAZY!
buy some white pita bread... like the big size ones that look
like a mini pizza>
-spread one wedge of Laughing Cow LIGHT swiss cheese (or whichever flavor you like, just make sure its light)
-drizzle some olive oil on top.
- tear up little pieces of really thinly sliced smoked turkey breast, OR chicken breast, OR tuna
-cut about 4 olives up and spread of it (you dont want too many because its got high sodium but just a few to add a salty bite.)
- half of a tomato cut in slices
-and then you can get creative with veggies: peas, fresh spinach, arugula, bell peppers, mushrooms, onions----whatever veggies you like, pile it on there because that way you will feel full and have a big meal, but its all of really healthy stuff.
-add lots of fresh basil, oregano, or rosemary on top.
-broil it on low or bake on 425 for a few minutes...

this is so good, so simple, and SUPER low in calories. what more could ya want??

For sweets:
Who doesn't love a great parfait??
Well most parfaits that you buy are loaded with about 300 calories. For one because of the granola, and because it's usually not fat free yogurt. So, since I LOVE parfaits, I always have a big container of vanilla fat free yogurt in the fridge, and Special K fruits and yogurt in the pantry. Make yourself a super easy-super low calorie parfait by adding about 1/2 cup of yogurt and top it off with a/b 1/4 cup of Special K and you'll have yourself a treat!!

Another way I love using Special K (because it tastes great and it has 100 calories in 1 full cup of cereal) is by slicing some bananas and mixing some with it in a bowl. It's crunchy and healthy and just plain good!


Get in the habit of making smoothies. Using some fat free skim milk and fruits like orange, banana, strawberry and mango, tossing it all in a blender with some ice, you can make some great fruit smoothies that are super low calorie and good for you. Add some splenda if you need the extra sweetness. But if you make an entire large cup of these, it can even be replaced for a meal.

These are just a few to start; to be continued soon....

1 comment:

  1. Your blog makes me hungry! Thanks for the tips though!!

    ReplyDelete