Lettuce begin!

LETTUCE BEGIN!!
I have recently required an absolute tremendous passion for cooking.
Now that I got married and actually have my own kitchen and someone
to cook for I cook everyday, and usually about four times a day!

I thought it'd be cool to start a blog and share recipes.
Mostly in the hopes that people will share theirs with me in return :)
But also just because cooking gives me such joy that I think should be shared!

From time to time I try to make some authentic Brasilian dishes,
which might interest those of you that want to try something really different.

Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I will, and thanks for all the recipes in advance!!
Xoxo,

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Olive Garden Breadsticks...Nough said.


So, after much research, I've found the original recipe for those Olive Garden bread sticks everyone fights over and immediately shouts "Yes, please!" when the waiter asks if you want more. So I figured I'd give it a try, and they turned out GREAT!

The recipe itself is super easy, the hard part, or super duper fun part for me, is all the kneading and waiting you will have to do. Plan on making these about 2 hours before dinner time..

So, Check it out:

First, dissolve: 3/4 tbsp active dry yeast
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 cup + 1 tbsp warm water
(for about 5 minutes)

Preferably in a stand mixer:
Second, mix: 3 cups of flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
then:add to the mixture 1/4 cup butter (soft)

When that's mixed, add the yeast mixture and mix. No mixer will be enough to make this bread good though... You're gonna have to get your hands in it!

On a working surface, spread some flour over it and start kneading the dough. You'll need to do this for about 10 mins... Really put some weight into it! This is your work out to burn the calories you're going to be eating from these bread sticks. You know you're not just going to eat one!

Then make the dough round and set it in a bowl sprinkled with flour and cover it with a cloth. Let it sit for 1 hour.

Then take the dough in a working surface with flour again and roll it out a bit. Cut the dough into about 10-12 slices. Then roll them back up into balls, and start rolling them into sticks with your hands. They should be about 7 inch round sticks.

Set the bread sticks on a baking pan covered with parchment paper and let it sit for another hour.

Then, in a small bowl, make a mixture of: 2 tbs of butter
1/2 tsp of garlic salt
Brush the breadsticks with the butter mix and then bake for 12 mins or until golden brown on 400 degrees F.

When the come out of the oven give them a quick brush with butter again, and eat them with your favorite Italian meal.

Pork Scallopini with Cheese filled shells in white wine cream sauce coming up soon! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment