Lettuce begin!

LETTUCE BEGIN!!
I have recently required an absolute tremendous passion for cooking.
Now that I got married and actually have my own kitchen and someone
to cook for I cook everyday, and usually about four times a day!

I thought it'd be cool to start a blog and share recipes.
Mostly in the hopes that people will share theirs with me in return :)
But also just because cooking gives me such joy that I think should be shared!

From time to time I try to make some authentic Brasilian dishes,
which might interest those of you that want to try something really different.

Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I will, and thanks for all the recipes in advance!!
Xoxo,

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Polenta Frita

If you've never had fried polenta....man, you just don't understand what you've been missing!!!! It's definitely not a famous thing in the US...but in Brasil, pretty much every restaurant you go too will have these in their menu. There's many different kinds of polenta...my grandpa eats it with milk, which is something I'll NEVER understand haha, but anyways, my favorite, and what I think is the best kind is fried.

And this is SO easy to make, you're going to kick yourself for never have made it before. And then you're probably going to do it for every meal for the rest of your life.

So first before we make "fried" polenta, we have to make regular polenta.

SO EASY
all you need is:
6 cups chicken stock
1 3/4 cups YELLOW cornmeal
3 tsp unsalted butter
1 tsp salt

Boil the water in a havey large saucepan. Add salt. Gradually whisk in the cornmeal. Reduce the heat to low and whisk until the mixture thickens.
This is the secrete to making good polenta. It's tough but you're gonna have to sit there and whisk this thing for about 15 minutes. That's why it's so good, you gotta put a lot of love into it :)
Then turn off the heat, and stire in the butter until its melted.

Then cover a large baking dish with foil, letting some hang off the sides and pour the polenta into it. Cover the top with foil and put it in the freezer for about 45 minutes. Or if you're making it in advance you can refrigerate it for about 2 hours.

When the polenta is semi-hard, cut the polentas into 2 by 1 in. pieces.
In a large frying pan, coat the pan with olive oil and fry the pieces about 4 at a time on medium high heat for about 3 minutes on each side.

Place the fried pieces on a plate with paper towels and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.

These things are better then the best fries you've ever had. Simply amazing! You've GOT TO TRY IT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment