Lettuce begin!

LETTUCE BEGIN!!
I have recently required an absolute tremendous passion for cooking.
Now that I got married and actually have my own kitchen and someone
to cook for I cook everyday, and usually about four times a day!

I thought it'd be cool to start a blog and share recipes.
Mostly in the hopes that people will share theirs with me in return :)
But also just because cooking gives me such joy that I think should be shared!

From time to time I try to make some authentic Brasilian dishes,
which might interest those of you that want to try something really different.

Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I will, and thanks for all the recipes in advance!!
Xoxo,

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

If you can't go to Spain, just make this Paella at home

One of my husband's favorite meal is Paella. He had it when he traveled to Spain and absolutely love it. Well since he asked for it all the time, and I couldn't let some woman in Spain be better at making Paella then me, I had to get good at making it. Well after making it a couple days ago and adding a couple ingredient I never had before, I think I finally mastered the famous Spanish rice dish. It might seem a little too many ingredients and steps at first, but it's a one pot meal and everyone will go CRAZY for this dish.

You will need:

One large non stick skillet. And I mean LARGE.
2 tspb of oil, divided
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 lb chopped pancetta (a key ingredient in this dish**)
1 lb of already cooked and chopped or sliced chicken breast
1/2 lb smoked sausage (fully cooked) sideway sliced...Idk how else to describe it lol
1/2 lb of shrimp
1 onion chopped
1 small can of peas
1 tomato chopped
4 or 5 green olives chopped
1/4 cup tomato sauce
2 cups of rice
2 cups of chicken stock or broth
1 cup of water
1 cup of chopped green, yellow, and red peppers
2 tsp of saffron* (**)
2 eggs
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 lemon juice
salt n pepper to taste


*if you can't find saffron or it's a little too much for your budge, look in the spanish or sometimes mexican section of your grocery store and they have little packets of seasoning with saffron in it. That'll work too, you just might have to reduce the amount of salt if you use it.


  1. In the large skillet, with 1 tbsp of oil, cook the pancetta until it's nice and crisp.
  2. Remove the pancetta to a large bowl or plate with a slotted spoon leaving the fat in the skillet.
  3. Throw in the onions and brown them..about 2 mins.
  4. Push the onions to the side of the skillet and
  5. break in the 2 eggs stirring them so they will scramble.
  6. Remove the egg when it's scrambled on the plate with the pancetta.
  7. Then add the shrimp first and cook until pink about 2-3 minutes with a pinch of salt,
  8. then add chicken and sausage for a couple more minutes.
  9. Remove those to the bowl with pancetta and scrambled eggs.
  10. Next, add in the peppers and garlic.
  11. Leaving those in there, add another tbsp of oil and add in the rice, stir frying them for about 1-2 minutes.
  12. Then add the chicken stock and water,a couple pinches of salt and the saffron.
  13. Stir, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to med-low, cover and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender, checking about once or twice to see if it needs more water.
  14. When the rice is cooked add the tomatoes and tomato sauce, stir
  15. and then add the original mix and remaining ingredients all back into the skillet and mix all together. (by now you should have all the ingredients in there)
  16. If yours turns out a little mushy, put it in the oven under a high broil for about 2 minutes and it should turn it into a more fried rice texture, like it should be.
I hope you guys enjoy it...it might seem like a lot, but it's certainly worth it! :)

I didn't take a picture of it when I made it...but for some reference...here's kinda what it should look like so you have an idea:

And by the way, you can certainly add mussels into this dish. Most of the ones in Spain have it.. It's just hard and expensive to find fresh mussels these days and it complicates the recipe a tad so I always opt out of it... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment