Lettuce begin!

LETTUCE BEGIN!!
I have recently required an absolute tremendous passion for cooking.
Now that I got married and actually have my own kitchen and someone
to cook for I cook everyday, and usually about four times a day!

I thought it'd be cool to start a blog and share recipes.
Mostly in the hopes that people will share theirs with me in return :)
But also just because cooking gives me such joy that I think should be shared!

From time to time I try to make some authentic Brasilian dishes,
which might interest those of you that want to try something really different.

Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I will, and thanks for all the recipes in advance!!
Xoxo,

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup


I know what you're thinking...ew that sounds gross. Believe me, when you eat a spoon of this creamy soup, it's like being in France in a 5 star restaurant. It's just got such a sophisticated flavor, and is so simple to make. It's just plain delicious. It literally warms the soul.

  • 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 7 to 8 cups)

  • 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage leaves
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper


In an 8-quart stockpot, add butter and oil and melt together over medium-high heat.

Add the onion and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.

Then, stir in the garlic and cook about 1 minutes.

Add the squash and the chicken stock.

Bring the mixture to a boil and add the sage.

Continue to boil until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.

Then using a blender, blend about 2-4 cups at a time and until its smooth and thick. You want it to be a thick cream, not watery soup.

To garnish it, I sliced a piece of baguette (bread), rub a garlic clove on it, sprinkly sage and added a piece of fontini cheese on top and toasted it for a couple minutes.

I made some for my parents, and they had seconds :)



No comments:

Post a Comment