Lettuce begin!

LETTUCE BEGIN!!
I have recently required an absolute tremendous passion for cooking.
Now that I got married and actually have my own kitchen and someone
to cook for I cook everyday, and usually about four times a day!

I thought it'd be cool to start a blog and share recipes.
Mostly in the hopes that people will share theirs with me in return :)
But also just because cooking gives me such joy that I think should be shared!

From time to time I try to make some authentic Brasilian dishes,
which might interest those of you that want to try something really different.

Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I will, and thanks for all the recipes in advance!!
Xoxo,

Saturday, June 25, 2011

dOughnuts!

Tell your friends you're making doughnuts and they'll be super impressed... What they don't know, is that they're SUPER easy to make. I know I always say that just about every recipe I make, but really, that's why I make them... I love cooking but not working, so I try to make it all simple. TRY THIS! If you like doughnuts that is... :)

In a pot, melt 1 stick of room temp butter with 1/2 cup of water.
Then add in 1/4 cup of sugar and pinch of salt. Stir until sugar is melted
Turn the heat off, and stir in 1 cup of flour a little at a time.
Turn heat back on low-med. and keep stirring just to cook off the raw flour taste
Put the dough in a stand mixer and add 3 eggs plus one yoke, one at a time as they get mixed into the dough.
(optional: Add the zest of an orange or lemon)

Let that dough sit in the fridge for about 15 minutes while you heat up vegetable oil in a big pot to fry the doughnuts.

Scoop the batter with a small ice cream scoop into the oil when it reaches 375oF
Cook them in batches of two or 3 depending on how big your pot is. You don't want them to all stick together.
While those fry...make the glaze:

Into a bowl, whisk 1/4 cup of heavy cream, 2 tbsp of chocolate powder (or espresso powder) 1 tbsp of vanilla extract (or chocolate liquor, or coffee liquor).
Then with a wooden spoon stir in 2 cups of powdered sugar a little at a time.
It's going to seem a little dry at first, and you may have to add in some water, but keep mixing for a while to make sure. It will eventually get very creamy!

Dip each doughnut just half way into the glaze
Set them on a wire on a top of a pan to let the excess cream drip from them.
Serve them nice and warm!





No comments:

Post a Comment